Navigating the Pathway to Your Success
High School Junior Year: College Preparation Checklist
This is a key year, as you begin to take standardized tests. In terms of college preparation, the following considerations should be addressed during a student's Junior year:
- Take the PSAT and begin a list of potential college choices.
- Evaluate education options. Decide whether you wish to attend a 2-4 year college or university, vocational school, or a career college.
- Continue gathering information.
- Organize a plan for testing. Find out dates for the SAT, SAT Subject Tests, or AP exams.
- Be aware of any special requirements.
- Stay involved with extracurricular activities.
- Organize college information.
- Narrow college choices.
- Prepare for standardized tests.
- Discuss future plans with family.
- Create a challenging schedule for senior year.
- Begin a scholarship search.
- Contact references for letters of recommendation.
- Apply for summer jobs or internships.
- Set appointments to visit top college choices.
- Visit colleges.
- Seek advice from other college students.
- Begin application essays.
- Make decisions early.